Download a pdf version of the:
For a copy of the Burn Permit requirements:
The Heber-Overgaard Fire District offers burn permits for certain types of burning. Call 928-535-6709 to verify if TODAY is a day that burning is allowed, or sign up for TEXT NOTIFICATIONS for when burn conditions change. Click HERE to submit a Burn Permit ONLINE or visit the station at 2061 Lumber Valley Rd. Overgaard
- 1. Types of material you are allowed/not allowed to burn:
- a. You are permitted to burn only the follwing material; [A.A.C.R18-2-602.D.3.a] SLASH, PINE NEEDLES, TREE TRIMMINGS, BRUSH, GRASS
- b. Type of material you are NOT to burn with this Open Burning Permit; [A.A.C.R18-2-602.A.13]
- ALL PLASTIC MATERIALS SUCH AS: – bottles for household chemical – grocery and retail bags
- WASTE PETROLEUM PRODUCTS: -waste crankcase oil -transmission oil – oil filters
- POISON OAK, POLYESTER, ASBESTOS, THERMAL INSULATION, POISON IVY, TIRES, POISON SUMAC, ELECTRICAL WIRING INSULATION, OLEANDER, AEROSOL SPRAY CANS
- HAZARDOUS WASTE PRODUCTS – paint – pesticides – cleaners – stains and varnishes
- EXPLOSIVE OR AMMUNITION, ASPHALT SHINGLES 2. When does your Burn Permit expire?
- 2. YOUR BURN PERMIT IS VALID FOR 1 YEAR FROM THE DATE ISSUED
- 3. When can you Burn? [A.A.C.R18-2-602.D.3.c]
- You are only allowed to burn during the following periods:
- Start igniting no earlier than: April through September 6:00am and fire must be extinguished by 8:00pm October through March 6:00am and fire must be extinguished by 6:00pm
- 4.There shall be NO burning during the following conditions:
- a. Sustained winds of forecast of winds of 10 miles per hour or higher b. Relative Humidity of 15% or lower c. Red Flag Conditions: Red Flag Indicates NO BURNING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. (Watch for flag at Fire Station and/or Forest Service) d. Water Shortage e. Extreme Fire Behavior Conditions
IF ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS OCCUR DURING YOUR OPEN BURNING, THE FIRE MUST BE EXTINGUISHED IMMEDIATELY.
- 5. How can you Burn?
- a. Your material to be burned shall be dry, readily combustible, and placed in the following arrangement(s) in such quantities that it will be completely consumed within the permitted burn hours (Please refer to condition 3 above).
- b. Piled (not to exceed 7 feet x 7 feet and shall be placed in an opening cleared to bare earth) ii. Collected in a pit (not larger than 7 feet x 2 feet deep) iii. Placed in an approved waste burner (no combustible materials within 10 feet of burner) iv. Campfires are permitted without a Burn Permit only when they are less than 3 feet x 3 feet in size and shall not be left unattended. Notification to the Fire Department is required prior to ignition.
- c. Your piled, pit-contained material or approved waste burner must have a minimum clearance of 50 feet from any structure. [A.A.C.R18-2-602.D.3.k]
- 6. You are required to notify the Fire Department BEFORE your Open Burning activities.
- a. You must notify the Fire Department prior to ignition of burning. Please call the burn line at 928-535-6709 for current burning conditions and leave your name, address, phone number, and permit number on the answering machine. [A.A.C.R18-2-602.D.3.g]
- b. You must have a copy of this permit on-site during open burning, to show that you have authorization to conduct burning.
- c. This permit shall not be construed to relieve you from liability from resulting damages or the obligation to comply with other applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances. You must also comply with requirements of Arizona Revised Statutes.
- d. The reporting form must be filled out each time the permittee conducts a burn. Every year, by March 15th, the form must be sent to the Fire Department. The Fire Department must then tabulate amounts burned and submit their report to ADEQ.
It is important to note that the Heber-Overgaard Fire District will not be responsible for any property damage, personal injury, or inconvenience incurred, directly or indirectly, as a result of the issuance and execution of a burn permit. The issuance of a permit does not relieve the permittee from any of the requirements of any other jurisdictional agency or any applicable and legally constituted agreements.